Friday, August 30, 2013

TGIF . . . progress

This week I love homeschooling because I am always aware of my children's progress.


Athena had her standardized testing this week (and I put together a little informal something for the boys as well), so the idea of their educational progress has definitely been at the forefront of my mind.

The feedback parents receive from their children's teachers always seemed completely uninformative to me.  I was always confused by Athena's weekly reports because they were either too general (informing us how the class as a whole was doing) or too specific (listing pages from the workbooks that they accomplished, which meant nothing since I didn't have access to those books).  Most frustrating was when the report came home for an average week: all the check boxes marked at their highest level and a two word personal remark: good week.  It got to the point where I stopped looking at the reports entirely because it would make me irrationally angry to see those meaningless marks as my only indications of my daughter's progress.

Now I ALWAYS know how my kiddoes are doing in their studies because I'm right there with them.  I always know how they've been behaving because I can see them and call them out on problem behaviors when they happen.  I can tell when they're not quite getting something or falling behind because these are the only kids I have to watch out for.  Good or bad, fast or slow, progressing or falling behind: I know right where they are and that's right where I want us to be.

--Little Miss Crazy

No comments:

Post a Comment