Friday, May 31, 2013

TGIF . . . homegrown learning

This week I love homeschooling because we use our everyday activities as learning opportunities.


I know this is something I could do if my children were schooling outside of the home as well, but I really never jumped on those opportunities the same way I do now.  As soon as my daughter started kindergarten, I think I fell into the mindset that the school was responsible for education and I should just leave it to them.  I laugh now at what a ridiculous notion that is.  My kiddoes' education is too important to ignore, and even if all I taught in our home was general life skills, that would be of great value.

This week was spring cleaning in our house, and a LOT of work needed to get done (we rearranged a good deal of the house and turned a formerly storage-filled laundry room into a pantry space).  The kiddoes all had their individual jobs to do, and they helped in some way with nearly every major job.  We planted vegetables that the kiddoes need to keep watered and observe growing.  Mr. Crazy likes to bake bread, and the kiddoes get to participate with the process.  Learning how to do all these things and learning what happens in the world around us are very valuable lessons; lessons that I am glad my kiddoes and I have a chance to explore together.

--Little Miss Crazy

No comments:

Post a Comment