Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Moving on into LoE

I mentioned in a previous post that I was very excited about the plans for the boys' language arts starting after we finished up our letter-of-the-week curriculum.  Well, the time has finally come to get started on something new; we have now officially started on our Logic of English curricula!


Originally, I planned to start both Hulk and Goblin into the Foundations program, but since that plan was made months ago, I now realize that Foundations A (which is the only part currently able to be purchased-- I did not find this curricula early enough to get involved in the Beta) is far too easy for Hulk.  He is very motivated and many reading milestones have already flown right by, much faster than I anticipated from my years of tutoring.  So instead of my original plan, Goblin started out in Foundations A and Hulk started into the Essentials curriculum instead.


Foundations is a great fit for Goblin; whenever it seems like he is getting bored or tired, we switch to a new section of the lesson and his interest is regenerated.  Or we come to an active exercise, such as acting out the words after I sound them out (which he always loves).  We work through one lesson each day, covering all the sections.  Sometimes we make it though in one sitting, and sometimes we need a break or two to get little-boy-jumpiness out, but we do complete a full lesson each day.  Goblin's fine motor skills are not yet prepared for writing on paper, so for the handwriting section, we use the tactile letters, sometimes use the whiteboard (mostly for visualizing and for my examples), and write in the air with fingers.  I love that he can begin learning the steps for the letters without needing to put pencil to paper.


I bought the Essentials curriculum to use with Athena next year, which makes it seem like it would be a little advanced for Hulk, but it is actually quite versatile.  Before Foundations was due to be released, I was thinking of starting the boys both into Essentials at a slow and easy pace.  They already have possible schedules laid out for both younger ones learning to read and older ones needing remedial help (and even ESL students and adults).  We're going through one lesson per week, skipping the dictation and composition sections (at least until Hulk's handwriting is ready for constant use).  Hulk is also following the handwriting sections from Foundations at an accelerated pace, generally learning a new letter each day.


I should probably mention that the boys are learning cursive.  These programs do give a choice of cursive or manuscript, but suggest cursive first, which falls in line with my plans.  I chose not to include any handwriting with the letter-of-the-week curriculum because the boys' fine motor skills were not ready for handwriting.  They do sometimes choose to write block letters, but I don't require it or encourage it for school work.  Any written work that Hulk and Goblin have completed up to this point, they explained to me and I wrote out for them.

I am so excited by the progress I already see from Hulk and Goblin in their new curricula.  These programs are teacher-intensive, but right now we are getting into a good routine which should make it easier, and I truly believe this is the best move for us.  I cannot wait to see what is coming as we continue through these programs.

--Little Miss Crazy

No comments:

Post a Comment