Friday, June 14, 2013

TGIF . . . time for everything

This week I love homeschooling because we have so much more time for life.


When Athena went to public school, she got on a bus at about 7am and was brought home at about 3pm.  She sometimes had homework to be done and always had learning that needed to be worked on (reading practice, spelling words, etc.).  At that time, we spent 8-10 hours each school day on her schooling.  Now that we homeschool, our school day generally lasts 3-4 hours (for all 3 children), occasionally longer when the kiddoes get wrapped up in their learning.

That means that we have about 4 extra hours each day for other things that catch our interest.  More hours in the day for taking walks, planting gardens, playing games, singing songs, pretending to be pirates, building snow forts, reading books for fun, and a host of other possibilities.

But that is not the only extra time I get with my kiddoes now.  Since I am the one doing the schooling, we're together during that time, too-- and a lot of our school time is pretty fun, too, in my opinion.  Now we have all the hours of the day to enjoy the world together, both through our learning and through our play.  I get to spend my best hours and my worst hours with my children (and they get to spend their good and bad times with me), so we all get to grow together, instead of apart.  I am so thankful for the time we've been blessed with.

--Little Miss Crazy

No comments:

Post a Comment