Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine Art

Earlier in the week, I found a Valentine's Day craft idea that I could not resist (Simple Valentine's Day Paper Craft).  Conversation hearts are such a classic for Valentine's Day, but I really did not want to give the kiddoes a bunch of candy.  Since the children's watercolors needed replacing, I decided this would be the perfect Valentine's Day gift for them all from Mommy.

These were so simple to make but so fun for the kids.  I cut out a number of heart shapes from white card stock (I traced around a heart cookie cutter, but you could easily freehand them or use your own template), then I used a white crayon to add "secret" messages. [This description is what sold the idea for my boys.  They are big into playing spies these days, so the idea of secret messages made these crafts seem exciting.]


I gave the kids each a new set of watercolors and a few hearts to paint.  Athena spotted all the words ahead of time, but Hulk and Goblin were really surprised to find letters magically appearing on the "blank" hearts.


As an added bonus, most words that fit on a heart are very simple, so the boys were able to practice sounding them out as they were revealed.


When the hearts had finished drying, I simply punched holes in them and strung them together to put up on the walls.  They would also look cute hung as a garland, taped up individually, or even placed on windows so that the light shines through the pretty colors (this would work best with a lighter weight paper-- card stock would block too much of the light).


Athena is already asking if we can move her string into her room for decoration.  I think we'll be doing this again next year, maybe just as simply as this time around or maybe adding in some more details.  Either way, this was a great way to give them a little something fun and spend a wonderful afternoon.

--Little Miss Crazy

No comments:

Post a Comment